Visiting the Archives
There is a warm welcome for everyone in Ceredigion Archives. Whatever your interests and field of study - on family history, local history, school projects, old vehicle registration and many other subjects - come and see what we have to help you.
Staff at the Archives can suggest appropriate lines of research, and guide you in the use of the documents.
You do not need a reader's ticket to use Ceredigion Archives but we are a member of the County Archives Research Network (CARN) readers' tickets scheme. If you already have a CARN ticket, please bring it with you. If not, we can issue one free of charge. Please bring two forms of identification with you (one must include your address).
The CARN ticket allows access to all participating offices without further requirement to provide proof of identity. You can read more about the scheme here.
New Opening Hours. Please note that our opening hours have recently changed. Our late opening (until 6 pm) has moved from Mondays to Thursdays; on Mondays, we are now open until 5 pm.
Monday 10am - 5pm
Tuesday 10am - 5pm
Wednesday 10am - 5pm
Thursday 10am - 6pm
Friday 10am - 4pm
(Closed on Bank and Council Holidays. If you are coming from a distance contact us first to confirm that we will be open.)
The Archives are situated in Aberystwythï¿½s old Town Hall, about ten minutes walk from the railway and bus stations. There is free on-street parking in town and on the sea-front, but please remember Aberystwyth can be very busy in the holiday season. There are also several pay-and-display car parks in the town.
(The map above is the Ordnance Survey Map of 1905 - here is a more contemporary view)
The Archives are accessible to people in wheelchairs.
Food and Drink:
Eating and drinking are not allowed in the Searchroom. When lunchtime comes (or a cup of coffee becomes irresistible) go for a short walk to the town centre. Aberystwyth is full of cafes and restaurants. We're sure you'll find somewhere you'll like!
Rules for Readers
In the Searchroom
• No food or drink (including sweets) to be consumed in the Searchroom
• Please turn off your mobile phone ring tone
• No bags on tables in the Searchroom
• Photocopying, scanning and photography at the discretion of the Archivist
• Children and their parents should respect the quiet atmosphere of the search-room
Most of the documents in the archives are unique and some are fragile. Please handle them with great care
• Make sure you have clean hands
• Turn pages carefully (and never lick your fingers to help the process please!)
• Do not lean on documents, and avoid unnecessary handling of documents
• Do not rest your own writing pad on the document
• Always use a pencil, never a pen.
• Use a book-rest or book support for bound volumes
• No more than four documents per person at any one time
If you would like help using a document ask a member of staff for assistance.
The Tourist Office in Aberystwyth can provide details of local accommodation for those who need to stay overnight.
Ceredigion Archives - preserving the past for the future